Saturday, April 11, 2009

Vegan Kosher for Passover Seder

One of my co-workers got a laugh when I told her my sister and I were preparing a vegan kosher for Passover seder… oh the restrictions. Well let me tell you, I did not feel restricted. I wish I had the pictures to prove how beautiful the food was. Here’s what was on the menu:

Raw Salad
Carrot Tzimmes
Baked Stuffed Zucchini
Russian Potato and Mushroom Croquettes
Broccoli and Lemon Dish
Chopped "Liver" Spread
Sweet Potato Kugel
Potato/Kale Casserole
Matzoh Ball Soup
Sephardic Date Haroset
Passover Apple Crisp
Passover Fudgy Brownies

We also had a box of spelt matzah and a box of whole wheat matzah, and my buddy brought two jars of horseradish, and two bottles of wine.

After it was all said and done, we had spent about 4 hours preparing the meal for 8, but how it was worth it! I was pretty impressed that everything came out pretty damn tasty, and I would say the whole operation impressed my parents, who until we went vegan, have always had the reins on our family dinners. This year I think my sister and I gave them a well deserved break, which I’m sure they appreciated. The meal didn’t break the bank, and now we have some recipes under our belt for next years seder.

Our seder was as always, classic and abbreviated, but we touched on the most important and our favorite parts of the ritual. I even had an short reading printed out for everyone that discussed the connection between Passover and vegetarianism, which we read around the table. And maybe this is just me being weird, but I feel like everyone ended up reading the paragraph meant for them. The next day, we got probably the nicest, most sincere, and most hysterical email from my cousin, and I hope he doesn’t mind that I quote him:

“I had a very good time last night, thank you both for throwing what was undeniably the most charming and relaxed Seder I've ever attended. The food was good … and everything else was just, I don't know, so much more fucking pleasant than these things usually are. I did like the way you conducted the 'service' David, and even though at this point in my life I care way more about what I learn regarding livestock treatment than what our religion proscribes, it was an interesting reading you found, urging the unification of faith in animal rights and jewish faith/observances … sorry for all the cursing, it's to convey the awesomeness you guys made reality. Thanks again.”

That’s awesome dude, and it was truly my pleasure.

Also worth mentioning, I was pretty impressed with the amount of information and recipes, and the variety of perspectives when I was searching the internet for "vegan passover" to find recipes and readings.

2 comments:

  1. I love this story! There's nothing better than vegan triumphs at family holidays. I made raw lasagna two years ago at Christmas and my step sisters have been talking about it ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so lucky, my family is all vegan and raw food friendly. These are some great recipes, I will definitely try some and follow your blog. I hope there is more goodness to come.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete