Thursday, October 29, 2009

Reaction to Natalie Portman's Huff Post

In vegan news... Jonathan Safran Foers, who wrote a really awesome article in the Times Magazine this month, is coming out with a book next week called Eating Animals. (Can't wait to get my hands on...)

Huffington Post is doing a series of responses to the book (very cool), and the first that I read was from Natalie Portman, who says this book finally turned her from a long time vegetarian, to a "vegan activist." Personally, I thought the essay was well written, passionate, and pretty much spot on.

Unfortuanately, there has already been a negative reaction in the media and online. (This is crazy!) But, what bothers me most are the kind of comments in response to Natalie's essay. It literally pains me though reading the comments. 90% of the comments are completely one sided, devoid of... well... any accurate information for starters. Everyone thinks that they are right. Both sides. (There are some idiot vegans out there, sorry to say.)

I guess the thing that bothers me most are the endless excuses that people have for being anti-vegan. I am a meat-eater turned vegan, so I know what its like to have to mentally turn such a corner. It is not always easy, especially at first. Still... enough already!!! For another living creature's sake...

2 comments:

  1. I love Natalie Portman so I eagerly read that yesterday and damn, when I looked at it, there were already 9 pages of comments! I couldn't believe what people were saying, like the guy who said animals would eat us if they could. Ugh. It made me sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I stumbled into your blog (http://www.veganblues.com/) and was wondering if you'd be open to a blogroll links exchange seeing as our blogs are somewhat related and I believe that it would be of benefit to us in the long run if we linked up. If you find this suitable kindly drop me a note at ivy.ringstone@gmail.com

    Thanks and hope to hear back soon.

    Ivy

    ReplyDelete