Thursday, July 23, 2009

Getting Political for Animal Rights

It’s now been 18 months since I decided to become vegan. Over the course of this time, I have read a lot about the different arms of the animal rights movement, at first, mostly hearing about groups like PETA, the Humane Society, and other large organizations, and later on, I found a whole web of smaller national and local groups and individuals who make it their job to raise a voice for animals.

From early on, it was obvious to me that personal choice is a crucial element in making a difference for animals, which was a deciding factor in why I became vegan. I came to understand that every time you make a purchase, you are essentially asking the manufacturer to make more of the product. I knew that every dollar I spent was also a vote. I decided that I would not be voting for cruelty with my consumer choices any longer. Still, with vegans comprising less than 1% of our population, I knew that this alone will not bring an end to factory farming and other abuses of animal liberty.
For months now, I’ve been glued to the numerous books and websites that are devoted to the animal rights cause, desperately trying to saturate my mind and soak in all the information I could get my hands on. About two months ago, I came across a book like no other, basically an instruction manual on lobbying for animal rights, “Get Political for Animals” by Julie Lewin (pictured above). This book has had a profound effect on my thinking about how myself and others can make a more significant social impact helping animals in my life, beyond just personal veganism. This book is not just for animal rights either, but it is a real how-to guide on how bills are made and passed (or not), and how politicians make decisions about how to vote on a particular bill. For anyone interested in learning about how government and politics really function, I highly recommend this book!

Now, I want to talk about the political arm of the animal rights movement. More and more we are hearing about efforts to create laws seeking protections for animals. Many know that in November, California passed Proposition 2, aka the Prevention of Farm Animal Cruelty Act, scheduled to take effect in January 2015. And while bringing an end to factory farming is the issue at the forefront of veganism, I now realize the importance of “baby steps” in the political realm. While many animal rights advocates believe that compromising on legislation is a compromise on principle, I have learned that there are so many issues that can be addressed on a local level.
That is why I’m so excited to help support the campaign of Yetta Kurland for City Council! She is running against Council Speaker Christine Quinn in Manhattan’s 3rd district, which covers W. Village, Chelsea, and Hell’s Kitchen. According to the New York League of Humane Voters, Christine Quinn has been the biggest obstacle for animal rights advancement in New York City, for 8 years now. She has not allowed bills protecting animals to even reach a vote. Also, here is a disturbing video about Christine Quinn which I had seen a few weeks ago, and it was produced by a fellow named Donny who I met at Yetta’s fundraiser last week: http://www.christinequinn.com/content/christine-quinn-behind-smile

I won’t lie, the first thing that jumped out to me about Yetta was her proud declaration of her veganism, and her endorsement by the New York League of Humane Voters. But after meeting Yetta and having an opportunity to hear her speak, it was obvious that she is not only passionate and committed to animal rights, but an entire array of very important people issues, not least of which include, tenants rights, education, community preservation and development, LGBT, and many other critical issues.

When I got home from Yetta’s fundraiser at Peter Max’s studio last week, I was hanging out with 2 of my friends, telling them about Yetta and her campaign. One of my friends asked me “So, she’s just gonna be working on vegan issues? How is helping animals more important than helping people.” Now, this basic attitude warrants a whole entire blog post, but I will hold off for now and save it for another time. I do want to say, after a short discussion, it became clear that my buddy, but probably most people, just don’t even have an understanding of the vegan agenda, and therefore either do not think it is important or achievable. But, taken from the NYLHV, here are a few of the top bills which they have been pushing in New York City (also available on their voter scorecard http://www.nylhv.org/scorecards/09scorecard.pdf):

1. A support of the Ban on Horse Drawn Carriages in NYC.
2. Opposition to the Carriage Industry’s push to eliminate oversight and inspection.
3. A ban of using wild animals, including apes and elephants, in the circus.
4. A law requiring sprinklers to be installed in all NYC pet shops.

Once elected, perhaps ironically, Yetta would represent the Meatpacking Districting, the Fur District, as well as Madison Square Garden, home of the patently cruel Ringling Brothers Circus. Please watch if you haven’t seen this recent video of handlers abusing elephants: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/07/22/2009-07-22_peta_video_shows_ringing_bros_handlers_beating_elephants.html. I think it’s past time we had politicians who care enough to address the awful injustices that take place against animals right in NYC. I can’t express how exciting it is to meet an individual who wants to tackle these issues with the passion, compassion, but also the intelligence and political will to shoot for the moon on these important issues, and in doing so, actually represent the people who vote.

In my belief, animal rights legislation is not less, but more important than most of the other nonsense that gets dealt with in city government. To my friends who wonder how animal rights could possibly trump human interest, I can’t stress enough that being in favor of animal and human rights are not mutually exclusive. Until we care about animals as much as ourselves, I really don’t believe there is much hope for a society with humanity and compassion towards other people.

So, to wrap up… at this point, I am seriously pissed that there is so much rampant animal abuse taking place, pissed that there is too much apathy / lack of concern, and disappointed by the common reasoning that the animal rights agenda should take a back seat to human interest issues. I am so excited to be giving a hand to the political arm of the animal rights movement, helping Yetta get elected to City Council, and hopefully many other compassionate candidates follow in her lead. Now as I get involved with all the things I have been learning about, and I encourage you to find out what you can do to help the cause. And now, I start down the path of Political Vegan.

1 comment: