Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Summer Cookout


As we approach July 4th weekend, I thought it proper to touch on what is still a very sensitive and divisive issue for me, as well as mainstream America, judging by today's New York Times article, discussing "the perfect burger", as well as the reader comments.


Growing up, I was always a burger lover. Becoming vegan, this was another item I knew I would be saying farewell to, but a year and a half later my attitude has gone from one of longing to pretty much disgust. It took me a while, I confess, but I truly feel like my days of craving a juicy burger made of animal flesh, over.


These days, I find myself invited to (and accepting invitations to) less BBQs and basically animal flesh charring parties in general (might have something to do with my attitude). But, I find that I can still enjoy a SERIOUSLY good burger, when I do take part.


Here is a sample of how I like my favorite burger these days (preferred brand included):


Sunshine Veggie Burger Patty (any variety), and/or
Portobello Mushrooms
Toasted Ezekiel Seseme Buns
Slices of Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Avocado
Eden Stone Ground Mustard
Organic Ketchup
and perhaps some Veganaise and/or melted soy cheddar or jack cheese

I tell you, this makes for one hefty burger.

I prefer the sunshine burger pattys because they are made from only veggie ingredients (no soy). If you happen to have a dehydrator (and I just ordered mine and should get it next week), you can dry out some vegetable juice pulp, and this can make a great patty. You can add some olive oil and flax seeds and make your own buns too!


You can also enjoy the following additions to your summer cookout menu (I linked a few easy recipes):

Raw or Grilled Corn

So this year at your friend's summer cookout, Vegans, don't fret that there's nothing festive to eat... just make sure that if your friends are greasing up their grill with dripping fat to bring your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment