Thursday, September 17, 2009

Political Vegan Blues

I regret to report that Chris Quinn defeated Yetta Kurland for City Council in Manhattan's 3rd district. I personally supported Yetta's campaign and believe strongly in her message. When I first saw Yetta's ad in the NYLHV Voter Guide, I knew that as a vegan, Yetta's support of laws supporting humane treatment towards animals would be unwavering. I also stronly agree with her stances regarding a number of other issues. She kicked Quinn's butt in the one debate Chris decided to show up to. In my eyes, she would and will be a stellar representative of the people. Besides which, she is really an incredible person. Thankfully, she will continue her work and hopefully run again next time around. Sorry to say: that she wasn't elected is a shanda on the voters of the 3rd district.

Still, as John Phillips (director of NYLHV) reported, there were many political victories for animals on Tuesday's Democrat primary election day, and we should look ahead and continue to work for progress for animal rights legislation in NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment