Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Vegan in NOLA



So... I was in New Orleans, Louisiana this past weekend. I had an amazing time!

NOT the most vegan city, considering the southern soul food has meat hidden in just about everything served, even from what I hear, items you'd think of as vegetarian. Then there are the specialty crawfish, catfish and alligator... needless to say these were off my menu.



Still, I'm pleased to report that at no time was my veganism threatened during my 4 day visit!

(Also many thanks to my cousin Jessie who I was visiting. I did NOT tell her in advance that I'm vegan, basically expecting to be OK and make do with what was available. But she had a hunch and was extremely accomodating).

Ironically, the [vegan] blues were not an issue for me in NOLA. (New Orleans, birth place of jazz / blues... get it?)

The first night, Jessie took me to Lebanon Cafe, it was excellent! (And an easy one.)

The second night's dinner gets special mention. When searching online for vegan restaurants, I read about Cafe Bamboo. I had a good feeling about this place, and I gotta say, it was incredible. Jessie and I shared Collard Green Wraps, Sol Chickn Dinner and Bourbon Chickn Dinner; in all honesty, not Red Bamboo (the owner's inspiration), or any other comprable spot in NYC compares to the taste of that soul food. The bourbon was inspirational. We even went back for breakfast before my flight on Monday. Do not visit NOLA without visiting this restaurant!


Cafe Bamboo

On Sunday night we went to Juan's Flying Burrito, extremely veg friendly, and delicious!!



Also, I need to mention that Jessie and I spent a few hours volunteering at the New Orleans Animal Rescue, where we met a few Katrina pooches and kitties who are still waiting for homes. They are absolutely amazing animals, undoubtedly deserving of good homes. The people who work there were tireless and incredibly inspiring. I was glad to be able to give these guys a break from their work- by moving some boxes of bleach, taking the dogs for their afternoon walk, and playing with the ferals in their courtyard. I'm sure I barely scratched the surface of what these guys are doing, but I'm grateful I could help for a little while. Jessie says she didn't know about the shelter and that she'd like to go back when she can, and I am very happy to hear that.
NOLA, I will be back.

1 comment:

  1. It always makes me so sad to visit the pound...but they really need the help! Sounds like a great trip

    ReplyDelete