Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Portland, OR

Portland, Oregon is the most vegan friendly city in the world.

For starters, never had a single problem finding a vegan item on any menu at any restaurant I ate at. For the restaurants that were not exclusively vegan, they definately made sure that I had something to eat, even at the most unlikely spots. Lastly, some of the food was the most delicious that I've had, period.

Here is a list of some of the excellent places I ate:
Tin Shed
Vita Cafe
Laughing Planet Cafe
Pambiche
Bamboo Sushi
Bye and Bye

This town is also scattered with parking lots filled with vendor trucks like this:

Again, no shortage of vegan options.

Then there was the fact that I was randomly in town the same weekend as the NW Veg Fest, an amazing Expo of hundreds of awesome vegan products and causes. And I got to meet 2 of my favorite vegan celebrities (I've read their books):

Yep. Thats me with Isa Chandra Moskowitz and with Rip Esselstyn!

Lastly, in general the city is light years ahead of the rest of America greenwise. Portland recycles compost, filters their rainwater before it reaches the rivers, has a bazillion bike lanes, and everything about this town reeked of ecofriendliness. (NY can be ashamed). And on top of everything vegan, this town was just beautiful.

If I had been living in Portland all this time, who knows whether this blog would even exist...

2 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to visit Portland, I have heard such amazing things. As a vegan AR activist stuck in the barren desert of Saudi Arabia it sounds more and more like heaven every day! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG What's going on in Saudi Arabia!?! Sounds crazy - what kind of work are you doing? Any vegan restaurants?

    ReplyDelete